Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Narrative Story

Short Story:
Everyday was a routine for me. Locked in a cramped metal cage was my life. No attention or freedom. I had no pride, being locked up. Twice a day I was brought a meal. It was never good, but you’d have to eat it if you didn’t want to starve. Creatures would come and stare at me and the others locked up in our metal cages, lying in newspaper drenched in our own urine. Every day big creatures came to stare at all of us, and examine us, like objects. With their long freakish arms they would pick us up and scratch our heads. Sometimes they would take one of the others, and never come back. I’m not sure what happens to them, but I am glad I’ve never been picked. I was born into this way of life. No knowledge of what goes on beyond the cages. I was woken every few hours from the sounds of the others crying, begging to be released. Everyone there was miserable. The smells and the sounds were atrocious. Thick stench of waste and putrid food was all you could breathe. The sounds of others howling and the sound of my little heart beating in my furry chest was depressing me. Knowing I was alive and cooped up not in charge of my own life and being scared of being taken away from the hell I was in was even scarier.
            For as long as I can remember, everyday was exactly the same; I was just a hopeless heart pounding in a locked cage. My little brown paws wedged against the metal bars left them sore. Snarling, my nose poked out of the cage. For the first time in my life something unordinary happened. The everyday routine was broken. The day the metal lock on the thick silver bars opened. The keeper forcefully dragged me out of my hell cage. I was placed in the arms of an ugly, big creature. I was terrified, too scared to try to break free. I was practically shaking as a few smaller creatures fondled over me. They began scratching and petting my head. They examined and observed me. I hid my long scraggly ears over my eyes. I was so nervous: I thought it would be the end for me if they take me away like the other dogs. Lying in the arms of the creatures, their cold, smooth, bald skin frightened me. The creature handed the keeper something and started walking out of the hell, through big doors. I began howling. I became more nervous than before. These creatures tried something to my neck. I tried to run away as we were walking outside. My legs felt so frail and weak, I hadn’t walked in so long. My paws stepping on something other than the cold metal cages and wet newspaper was amazing. I felt different, but still caught. I jerked and tugged running but not going anywhere. A leash tied to my neck began to suffocate me; this was when I began to panic. I knew they were trying to kill me now. I was losing my breath. All of a sudden I was swooped up and the chocker was released. In the arms of the big creature, the little creatures followed behind. I hid behind my ears not knowing where we were going. Soon enough we had arrived at a house. I was finally placed on my paws again. I remember looking around, seeing things I’ve never seen before. At the time, I was so confused. I knew they wanted me for something, but I didn’t know what.
            Two clean dishes were set before my giant brown eyes. One dish was of clean fresh water, and the other was a bowl of mouth-watering beef. I devoured the delicious food as the creatures rubbed my sore back. Days went by, and each day I was cared for, fed, walked, bathed and given comfortable blankets to lie on. I was allowed to run outside and play. The creatures played with me too. I was finally having fun in my life. The little creatures smiled, and giggled as they watched me. They showed me affection, something I never knew existed. I soon began to realize, that these creatures were here to help me, and love me rather than hurt me. I learned that things aren’t always what they seem.

2 comments:

  1. BROOKE! this is phenominal! i really enjoy your style of writing and awesome descriptive words.
    :)

    - aubrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Brooke, this is so heartbreaking! I love the vivid descriptions of the puppy's cage and all the smells and sights in the pound--it really captures the dog's fears. And thank goodness it has a happy ending. I can't handle hearing sad things that happen to helpless animals. A great idea for a story sketch!

    ReplyDelete