Thursday, October 27, 2011

"Shrooms"

"Shrooms"
(from the perspective of a boy talking to his older brother concering his drug addictions)

Why don’t you go shove your face with an eighth of shrooms?
Pace your room, wait until a new dimension blooms.
You can see the suspension in your eyes.
Black pupils doubled in size.
But it won’t be long until your saying your goodbyes.

The drugs intentions, you can’t control.
The chemical invention, you fantasize.
Forced imagination, reality dies.
The vivid hallucinations are your golden prize.
Your mind flies, as you mention you’ve experienced this many times.

You’re ideal of fun, eating magical mushrooms in a hamburger bun.
Over-dose, always close, but soon you’re done.
Your broke, can’t afford a paramedic.
You’re a joke, too messed up to be sympathetic.
If you survive though, have fun being schizophrenic.

No one can help you, in your mind “stop you,”
“Undefeatable” by human, but not by those pills you’ve been consuming.
Damn, that addiction you can’t disable.
Incapable, dreaming through life like a fable.
Swallowing pills out of a bottle with no label,
How did you become so unstable?

Good or bad influence, either way looked up to you ever since.
Following your footprints, need your guidance.
Since my existence, you were my inspiration.
I never had hesitation to help you out in a situation.
But I had a false realization that you were there for me.

But all that memory, I’ll always keep in my minds cemetery.
Like introducing me to drug using; first hit first high.
Kept it lit always gave me a try.
Spending time together, to me nothing was better.
I couldn’t wait to stay up late, smoke and talk, diminished hate.

You got me hooked on your obsessions.
Admired your advice, and these are my confessions.
Now I’m wired to afford a price for my own addictions.
Respect for my hero, has dropped to a zero.
Feel neglect, I just don’t show.
Bond is broken, now we haven’t spoken.

Your trust was a fail, bust me with betrayal.
When it came to the times you held me for blame,
Did you feel no shame?
I felt the pain but I never took aim.
I couldn’t do the same, looking down from my window frame.
I’m critiquing how you look so lame,
You need help sneaking in, calling my name.
But I usually keep tame with support, knowing you’d never do the same.

Just so I will hurry, you curse and throw a rock at my window.
But I’ve had enough and decided that was your last blow,
While yelling,
“Get more lost, go ahead!
Family’s tossed and you’re practically dead,
Your entire life’s cost, just to keep drugs in your head.”



1 comment:

  1. Wow, Brooke, this poem has an intense, driving rhythm that works really well with the subject matter. You're one of a few students who really gets rhyme--they rarely feel forced and they always contribute to the meaning of the poems. I could almost see this being turned into a rap or song. Plus the poem has a very strong message. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete